- Beware of strangers coming to your house in garb of salesmen/hawkers etc.
- Switch on light when you go out of home. Inform your neighbors about your absence from your home for a long or short period.
- Fix iron grills on windows and glass pane doors.
- Don’t allow any unknown person to enter your house without his identity.
- Keep side doors pad locked and main door bolted.
- Install magic eye and safety chains on doors and also use slam-shut locks instead of pad locks.
- Look through the magic eye and ensure that door chain is secure when you are going to open the door for an unknown person.
- Install burglar alarm system and learn how to use it. Monitor your alarm system and arrange for guard response. Keep ladder and stools away from boundary walls.
- Insure all valuable properties.
- Make your home appear lived in. Don’t keep huge amount of cash and ornaments in the house. Use bank lockers.
- When you rent out your house give information to local police station about your tenants in prescribed Performa.
- Don’t go alone with cash and jewellery during the night hours.
- Do not record a message on answering machine telling people that you are out of home/ town.
- Always ask representatives to provide identification.
- Always identify visitor before opening the door.
- Always think about the risk before doing any thing.
- Never allow children to open the door.
- Avoid walking alone at night.
- Walk on busy well-lit roads, towards traffic.
How to prevent Bag Snatching while traveling
- Avoid wearing heavy ornaments while traveling.
- Avoid opening your bag-containing valuable like cash and ornaments, while traveling in public places.
- Avoid carrying more money than required.
- Carry your purse to the left side, close to your body and slightly to the front.
- Avoid carrying your keys, cheque book or credit-cards in your bag. Carry them in a jacket or other pocket on your person.
- Your purse should be closed and fastened at all times. Do not leave it on a counter.
- If someone attempts to snatch your bag, give it up rather than risk personal injury.
Beware of unverified servants in your house
- Get your domestic help’s antecedents verified.
- Give his/her photograph as well as permanent address to the nearest Police Station for verification.
- Get his/her background verified from previous employer.
- Avoid giving access to his relatives and friends.
- Avoid displaying jewelry and valuables to him/her in the house.
Prevent vehicle thefts
- Park your vehicle in the parking area and get a parking slip.
- Don’t keep vehicles in your house compound without locking.
- Keep two wheelers in the safe places after tying with a chain and lock.
- Never leave the vehicle door unlocked nor the windows partially open.
- Never leave the key dangling in the ignition.
- Never leave important documents and valuables in the glove box or boot.
- Never identify your key ring with your name.
- Make sure that quarter glasses are properly secured.
- Double-check all doors (including the boot) to ensure that they are properly locked.
- Etch registration number of your car on the rear & front window screens and windowpanes. Do not leave valuables in your car even if it is locked.
- Cut down on extra fittings, as these tempt prospective thieves.
- Install an anti theft car alarm.
- Do not offer lift to unknown person.
- If someone needs help, stop at some distance away and communicate through locked doors and partially open window.
- In case of theft, immediately inform nearest police station or dial 100.
- Use GPS tracking system in the vehicle.